Wacky Tabacco in the Backyard – Can You Legally Grow in Montana?
As marijuana has become less taboo over the past couple of years with the legalization of recreational cannabis in Montana, you may have been one of those who have imbibed and enjoyed it. So much so that perhaps you have wondered either in your own mind or out loud about growing your own at home. Can you? Sure! But there are some very specific rules to creating a home garden for marijuana.
Just Throw This Seed in a Pot and You Are Good to Go!
Just because it is legal, doesn't mean there aren't regulations to growing cannabis in your home or yard. The Montana Department of Health and Human Services is the definitive voice for knowing what the laws are and helping you become a gardener. No, you cannot just throw a seed that a friend gave you in a pot.
The Who, The Where and the How of Growing Your Own
According to mtrevenue.gov, the following are some of the rules regarding growing your own marijuana.
Who can grow?
Montana adult registered cardholders or their caregiver:
- Renters with permission from their landlord
Montana adult consumers-Montana adults who are residents and 21 & older:
- Renters with written permission from their landlord
Where can you grow?
In or on the grounds of a private residence:
- An individual may not cultivate marijuana in a manner that is visible from the street or other public area.
How many plants can I have?
- Montana Registered Cardholder*Four (4) mature marijuana plants and four (4) seedlings*If multiple registered cardholders share a residence, not more than twice the number of marijuana plants permitted may be cultivated in or on the grounds of a single private residence simultaneously.
- Montana Adult Consumer*Two (2) mature marijuana plants and two (2) seedlings*If multiple adults (21+) share a residence, not more than twice the number of marijuana plants permitted may be cultivated in or on the grounds of a single private residence simultaneously.
Learning the laws before you grow will save you a ton of headaches down the road should you encounter a problem. The MDHHS offers a downloadable .pdf file that can help answer your questions regarding personal cultivation of marijuana.
Remember, these are only some of the regulations and laws regarding cultivation. Be sure to contact the MDHHS with the State of Montana for a full explanation of all laws regarding this subject.