Montana Farmers Trying New Cover Crop, Flown In From Canada
COVER PHOTO- NEW COVER CROP FLOWN IN OVERNIGHT FROM CANADA
Montana Farmers are some of the best conservationists of the land. Ever year they work diligently to find new resources to grow crops that feed people all over the world. While doing so, they utilize God given resources to be as efficient as possible.
Recently as I was driving around I noticed a new cover crop being implemented on crop land north of Great Falls. This crop was recently flown in from Canada and is very abundant. It is also self- generating, renewable and has many other benefits.
A LITTLE WATER IS ALWAYS GOOD TO HAVE FOR YOUR COVER CROP
Talking to a local farmer (who is only willing to be identified as Farmer B. Foold) he talked about the many advantages of this new cover crop.
- Very low input cost. Most of the time the crop just swoops in on its own with no seeding application needed
- Limited effort by the farmer is needed. Providing a flat area with stubble generally is enough. The occasional waterway also is enticing for the byproduct of Canada.
- Removal is very easy- Farmer Foold told me most of the time he will show up one day the crop has harvested itself.
- The cover crop is edible. I was told it makes a great Christmas Dinner.
THE CROP IS SELF PLANTING AND WILL MOVE AROUND UNTIL IT FINDS THE PERFECT SPOT
THE COVER CROP WORKS IN TOWN AS WELL AS IN THE COUNTRY
Farmer Foold did say there were a couple of issues with this crop and that is why it is still in its experimental stages.
- Unreliable delivery- he did not blame Canada directly, but did say you never know when it will show up and how long it will stay.
- The fertilizer pellets that it leaves behind can be messy at times.
- Don’t try to sleep when a huge crop is being flown in….it can get really noisy!
ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL CROP MOVING ONTO THE NEXT FIELD
If you stuck with the story this long, thank you! The story was originally posted on April 1st and is truly meant to put a smile on your face. So hopefully you didn’t fall for my April fool’s joke, but if you did- be sure to share with someone you want to get.
Let me know the best April Fool's joke you ever pulled and I will put a story together for it.
READ BEST APRIL FOOLS JOKES
If you have a story idea or something you want to learn more about, give Randy a call at 406-788-3003 or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org