MT FALL SPORTS CHAMPS HOPE TO BRING HOME A WINTER SPORTS CROWN
Professionals, including Doctors, Psychologists and Athletes have said that one sport athletes are a thing of the past. Keeping busy and in shape year around has more benefits for student athletes than focusing on a single sport. Different muscle groups are used for different sports and activities.
Winter sports are coming to end this weekend with state basketball tournaments around the state. I was curious to see how many successful teams in the fall sports category will represent their district and division at state basketball.
First, let us revisit last year’s basketball champions in their respective class.
- Girls- Billings Skyview 54-44 over Missoula Hellgate
- Boys- Helena Capital 62-48 over Bozeman
- Girls- Havre 37-30 over Billings Central
- Boys- Butte Central 61-58 over Fergus
- Girls- Colstrip 46-43 over Jefferson
- Boys- Three Forks 72-57 over Harlem
- Girls- Roy/ Winifred 48-40 over Box Elder
- Boys- Manhattan Christian 55-35 over Froid Medicine Lake
Now the reason for this article. Here are the different sports, in their respective class, that won a state title and the teams that came in second.
Fall Sports Results
- Girls Soccer- Gallatin 3-1 over Missoula Sentinel
- Girls Volleyball- Billings Senior over Billings West
- Boys Soccer- Missoula Hellgate 1-0 over Billings Senior
- Boys Football- Helena Capital 35-14 over Bozeman
- Girls Soccer- Billings Central 2-1 over Whitefish
- Girls Volleyball- Billings Central over Havre
- Boys Soccer- Columbia Falls 5–2 Park (Livingston)
- Boys Football- Fergus 34-14 over Billings Central
- Girls Volleyball- Huntley Project over Shepard
- Boys Football- Florence Carlton 48-7 over Loyola Sacred Heart
- Girls Volleyball- Manhattan Christian over Bridger
- Boys Football 8- man- Belt 52-26 over St. Ignatius
- Boys Football 6- man- Big Sandy 67-27 over Broadview Lavina
How many of these Fall Sports champions and runner’s up qualified for state basketball. Let’s take a look
- Girls- Billings Skyview will try to defend their state title from last year. Soccer Champ Gallatin in #3E and runner up Missoula Sentinel is #4W. Runner up in Volleyball, Billings West is #1E.
- Boys- will have a new champion as Helena Capital did not qualify. The state soccer champion Missoula Hellgate is #1W and the runner up in football, Bozeman is #2E
- Girls- Havre will try to defend their state title from last year. Billings Central has already won state titles this year in soccer and volleyball, Havre took 2nd in volleyball.
- Boys- Butte Central will try to defend their state title from last year. Columbia Falls #5W won the state soccer title. Fergus #1E won the football title over Billings Central #3E.
- Girls- will have a new champion as Colstrip did not qualify. Huntley Project #1S won the state volleyball title.
- Boys- will have a new champion as Three Forks did not qualify. Loyola Sacred Heart #1W took second in football.
- Girls- Roy/ Winifred will try to defend their state title from last year. Manhattan Christian #2W won the state volleyball title.
- Boys- Manhattan Christian will try to defend their state title from last year. State Football Champions Belt and Big Sandy are both in the hunt for a title and could meet up for the State Class C Basketball Title. That would be neat to see the 8- man champ against the 6- man champ. It would also be a repeat of the Northern C Divisional that Belt won in Great Falls.
Based on this info, multi sport athletes can and do excell in several different sports.
Results found at the Montana High School Association web page. Don't worry if you are missing High School sports already. Spring Sports start on March 13th and will once again, crown champions in May.
If you have a story idea or something you want to learn more about, give Randy a call at 406-788-3003 or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org